Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Operation Greenhouse is a success!



I am so excited that my completely impromptu greenhouse project is working! I have butter lettuce (above) and baby bok choy (below)...



... as well as a tray of cut-and-come-again salad greens. I didn't buy anything fancy for this other than organic potting mix. Everything is growing in old plastic containers I snagged out of the recycling bin. I just stabbed holes in the bottom of each using a kitchen knife, filled them with dirt and seeds, put them in the greenhouse and hoped for the best.



It's certainly not as impressive as growing tomatoes in winter. These are cold-hearty plants, after all, which is why they are growing so easily in my non-heated greenhouse. But I know they are doing much better in here than they would be doing outside, where the daytime high has been around 37 degrees for over a week. I don't have a thermometer in the greenhouse yet, but it is noticeably warmer inside it than out. And it has been so nice being able to grow something during the middle of winter, when I am usually only able to daydream about spring.

I know I'm pretty fortunate to have a greenhouse. They can be costly and take up space, which is shy many people don't have them. But if you want the same basic idea and are limited on space but not creativity, you should definitely consider building a cold frame. This is a good tutorial on how to build a cold frame - looks like a pretty simple and inexpensive project that would be well worth it in the end, as it can be used just like a greenhouse to extend your growing season. Let me know if you decide to give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you have a greenhouse! Lucky, lucky lady! Congrats on your bounty of greens! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I am very jealous. Of course it's been hot and then cold and then hot again here, so my tomato plant from last summer still has some green tomatoes on it...thanks a lot, you gave me like 2 all summer and now you want to produce?? But they haven't grown in weeks and I don't expect them to.

    I'd love to have some fresh salad from your garden for lunch. Too bad we live so far away!

    ReplyDelete